In 1852 some 2,000 members of the tribe were removed to a reservation on the upper Wolf and Oconto rivers in Wisconsin.
Beginning in 1872, a tribally owned lumber mill operated under government supervision, providing the community with jobs and income. government instituted a movement known as “termination,” in which tribes lost federal recognition and the benefits and protections associated with that status. The former reservation lands became a county within the state of Wisconsin, and a corporation, Menominee Enterprises, Inc., was created to hold and administer tribal assets.
This reconstruction was completed ahead of schedule, with the span reopening on November 22, 2005.
The project completely replaced the bridge above the water line with wider 12-foot (3.7 m) traffic lanes, new 5-foot (1.5 m) bicycle lanes and wider 7-foot (2.1 m) sidewalks.
Setbacks during construction included flooding of the coffer dams used in the building of the piers that supported the bridge. The ribbon cutters included Princess Kenoke of the Menominee Tribe.
The bridge opened in December 1929, just months after the October 29 stock market crash. The bridge was rehabilitated in 1970 in a project that included widening the deck and replacing the guard rails.
Barges were positioned to catch concrete, preventing it from entering the river.
Coffer dams were installed so the piers could be broken up and removed as well.
Construction of the Interstate Bridge coincided with a project to replace the span between Marinette and Stephenson Island, which was also built in 1929, and a refurbishment of US 41 through Marinette.
The new Interstate Bridge was dedicated on December 3, 2005 in a ribbon-cutting ceremony that replicated the 1930 ceremony on the previous bridge.